The CalFresh Program helps to improve the health and well-being of qualified households and individuals by providing them a means to supplement their nutritional needs.

The CalFresh Program, federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), issues monthly electronic benefits on a card that works just like a debit card and can be used to buy most foods at most grocery stores and farmers markets.  

The amount of CalFresh benefits you are entitled to will depend on the number of eligible people in your household and how much monthly income is left after certain expenses (deductions) are subtracted. A CalFresh household is a group of people who live together, related or not, who buy food and prepare meals together.

Minimum Requirements to file a CalFresh Application

  • Your name;
  • Residence; and
  • Signature of head of household, any adult household member, or an authorized representative.

Eligibility Factors

  • U.S. Citizenship,
  • Legal Immigrants who: 
    • Have lived in the U.S. for at least five (5) years, or
    • Have lived in the U.S. less than five (5) years and have an exempt status.
      • Legal immigrants who have not been residents of the U.S. for five (5) years or have an exempt status may be eligible to the California Food Assistance Program.
    • Are children under 18 years of age regardless of entry date.
  • California Residency
  • Students who are enrolled half-time or more in an institute of higher education (e.g. college) may not be eligible for CalFresh unless they have at least one of several exemptions.
  • Income
  • Property/Assets
    • Most applicants do not need to report their property and assets; a worker will inform applicants who must provide this information.

Verification that may be needed to get more CalFresh benefits

  • Certain utilities
    • Heating and cooling costs (electricity, propane, wood, kerosene, pellets or other expense necessary to provide heating or cooling).
    • Water
    • Sewer
    • Garbage
    • Telecommunications
  • Shelter (rent, mortgage, property taxes, and homeowner’s insurance),
  • Medical expenses for anyone in your household who is elderly (60 and older) or disabled and the out of pocket expense is not covered by medical insurance and more than $35 per month.
  • Child care needed while you work
  • Court ordered child support paid by a person in your household.

Expedited Service

You may be able to get your first CalFresh benefit allotment within 3 calendar days (add 1 more day if the 3rd day is a Sunday). Qualifying households will follow the same application process but shall have their application scheduled for review/interview within 3 days. Not all documents have to be provided before initial benefits are issued, a worker will tell you the minimum requirements. You may qualify for expedited service if you are experiencing one of the following eligibility factors;


  • Your household’s monthly gross income (income before deductions) is less than $150 and your cash on hand or in checking or savings accounts is not more than $100; or
  • Your household’s housing costs (rent/mortgage and utilities) are more than your combined monthly gross income and money in checking or savings; or
  • You are a migrant or seasonal farm worker household with less than $100 in checking or savings and 1) your income stopped, or 2) your income has started but you do not expect to get more than $25 in the next 10 days.

Households with members who are age 60 and older or who have a disability:

  • Home visits may be conducted when phone interviews are not possible,
  • Income earned through Senior Community Service Employment Program or Payments to Volunteers under Title II of the Domestic Volunteer Services Act, including payments from Retired and Senior Volunteer Programs (RSVP), Foster Grandparent Program and Senior Companion Programs are not counted as income.
    The total amount paid for child or adult care, of an eligible household member, paid by the eligible household member can be deducted when the expense is necessary so that household member can: accept or continue employment, seek employment, pursue education or training that is preparatory to employment (connected to Welfare-to-Work activities).

How to Apply for CalFresh

Online: Visit or to apply

Download applications from here:

English SAWS 2 PLUS.pdf

Spanish SAWS 2 PLUS.pdf

In Person: You can pick up an application from the Department of Health and Human Services at 880 Northcrest Drive Crescent City, CA.

By Phone: Call our office at 707-464-3191 Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm to request an application.

By Mail: Send completed and signed application by mail to Department of Health and Human Services 880 Northcrest Drive Crescent City, CA.

By Fax: Fax completed and signed application to 707-465-1783.

Please note: Your completed application will be processed when returned and any requested verification have been received. You may also need to complete an interview (the county will notify you if one is needed).

The minimum necessary information to file a CalFresh application to preserve your beginning date of aid is: your name, address, and signature.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.   Do I have to be on Public Assistance to be eligible to receive CalFresh?

No. Many recipients of CalFresh are employed, elderly or disabled who need assistance purchasing nutritional food.

2.   How long does it take to receive CalFresh benefits?

If you qualify for CalFresh you will receive benefits no later than 30 days from the date the office received your application.

3.   I’m a single adult without dependents; can I apply for CalFresh benefits?


4.   What if I have a bank account?

Liquid resources such as cash, checking and savings accounts are not counted in the CalFresh Program.

5.   What if I’m disabled, and am unable to cook for myself?

Disabled or elderly individuals may have others assist them with cooking when needed.

6.   What if I am an adult who lives with my parents?

If you are under 22 years of age, your parents and their income must be included in the CalFresh household, including step-parents or adoptive parents. If you are over 22 years of age, living with your parents and have customarily purchased and prepared your food separate from your parents you may apply for yourself without including your parents.

7.   If I have a special diet such as those for high blood pressure or diabetes, may I apply separately from the rest of the household?

Yes, if you provide a sworn statement to that effect.

8.   What if I receive food from monthly food banks?

You may receive CalFresh and also obtain food from food banks as well as occasional food bank gift baskets.

9.   If I receive monthly food commodities from a Tribe can I also receive CalFresh?

No, you may receive one or the other.

County of Del Norte
Department of Health & Human Services
Social Services Branch Public Assistance /
Employment & Training Branch
880 Northcrest Drive
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone (707) 464-3191
Fax (707) 465-1783
880 Northcrest Drive
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone (707) 464-3191
Fax (707) 465-1783

Behavioral Health Branch

Public Health Branch
455 K Street
Crescent City, CA 95531
(707) 464-7224
(800) 446-4408 (toll free)
400 L Street
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone (707) 464-0861
Fax (707) 465-6701