Homeless Assistance

The CalWORKs Homeless Assistance program serves CalWORKs recipients who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. CalWORKs recipients, or applicants who appear to be eligible to CalWORKs, who meet the criteria for being homeless, are eligible for Temporary Homeless Assistance to stay in temporary shelter (e.g., a motel) for up to 16 days. Following the 16-days, the temporary shelter benefit is considered exhausted. 

While receiving temporary Homeless Assistance, recipients are required to search for permanent housing. Once Permanent housing is located, recipients may be eligible to receive Permanent Housing Assistance within one working day of the request. Permanent Housing Assistance may consist of assistance with the security deposit, which may include last month’s rent, with the total not to exceed twice the amount of the monthly rent. The recipient may also receive assistance with utility deposits, if required.

Homeless Assistance is available once every twelve months. Once the instance of homelessness is resolved, the family is not eligible for twelve months, unless meeting an exception.

A family is considered homeless when:

  • They lack a fixed regular night-time residence,
  • They primarily residing in a, public or privately, supervised temporary shelter,
  • They are primarily residing in a public or private place not designed for regular sleeping accommodations for human beings,
  • They have a need for housing in a commercial establishment, shelter, publically-funded transitional housing, or from a person in the business of renting properties who has a history of renting properties; or
  • They have received a pay rent or quit notice.

Homeless Prevention

If you get a notice to pay rent or quit (move out) from your landlord, you can apply for homeless assistance and get help to pay back rent that you owe. The county may be able to pay up to two months worth of back rent if you are eligible for this type of homeless assistance.

How to Get Help

Apply In Person:

  • Applications are available and accepted during regular business hours 
  • 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Monday through Friday
  • Our office is located at 880 Northcrest Drive, Crescent City.

You can request an application be mailed to you by calling 707-464-3191 during regular business hours. Your application will not be processed until it is completed and returned as well as the initial face-to-face interview with all parents, of the children for whom they are applying, in the household. 

If you already have an open cash assistance case just contact your current worker. There will be additional paperwork to complete but you will not have to go through the whole cash assistance application process for this additional program.

County of Del Norte
Department of Health & Human Services
Social Services Branch Public Assistance /
Employment & Training Branch
880 Northcrest Drive
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone (707) 464-3191
Fax (707) 465-1783
880 Northcrest Drive
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone (707) 464-3191
Fax (707) 465-1783

Behavioral Health Branch

Public Health Branch
455 K Street
Crescent City, CA 95531
(707) 464-7224
(800) 446-4408 (toll free)
400 L Street
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone (707) 464-0861
Fax (707) 465-6701