Commercial Cannabis

Commercial Cannabis

For licensing inquiries, visit the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) CalCannabis website.

 Pesticide Use

If you plan on doing any pesticide work, you will be required to obtain an Operator ID Number or Permit, submit monthly pesticide use reports, and follow all other applicable pesticide laws and regulations. Please explore our Pesticide Use Enforcement Page or visit the California Department of Pesticide Regulation website for more information.

 Nursery and Plant Shipment Inspections

Selling plants for planting, propagation, or ornamentation, will require a California Nursery Stock License. Out of county plant shipments (sending and receiving) may be subject to certain quarantine laws. More information can be found at our Nursery Inspection Program page.

Seed Sellers

If you wish to sell seed, you will need to become a Registered Seed Seller with the State. Please visit our Seed Inspection page or visit the CDFA’s Seed Services Program page to learn more.

Weighmaster Requirements and Scales

A Weighmaster license is required if you have a license issued by California Department of Food and Agriculture CalCannabis Division and/or the California Department of Public Health Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch.

Scales must be registered with our department, tested annually, and sealed as accurate before use. Please visit our Device Registration and Testing page for more information.

Weighmaster requirements and cannabis scale selection guidance can be found at CDFA’s Division of Measurement Standards webpage.

Other Helpful Links

Cannabis Packaging Requirements: California Department of Public Health’s Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch (CDPH MCSB).

Pesticides on Cannabis (PDF)

Justin Riggs

Agricultural Commissioner
Sealer of Weights and Measures
Animal Control Director
2650 W. Washington Blvd
Crescent City, CA 95531
Phone (707) 464-7235
Fax (707) 465-6044